As a writer by trade and insatiable reader, I am a great lover of words. This morning I came across an interesting word that I hadn’t seen before, “agrihood.” It is a noun and refers to “a district, especially one forming a community connected to a farm or incorporating a farm within its boundaries.”
After a google search of the Interwebs, I quickly discovered that (1) this is not a new concept and (2) agrihoods are popping up all over America. As a farming and agriculture advocate, imagine my excitement! Here are a few of the articles for those inquiring minds:
- Farm to Table Living Takes Root / NY Times
- Agrihood Communities Redefining ‘Homegrown’ Food / Earth911
- ‘Agrihoods’ Offer Suburban Living Built Around Community Farms, Not Golf Courses / The Huffington Post
- 12 Agrihoods Taking Farm-to-Table Living Mainstream / Shareable.net
Many of us, I realize, can’t pull up stakes and root ourselves in a new agrihood community. We can impact the sustainability of agripreneurs in our own community by supporting them, day after day, with our consumer dollars.
How and where you ask?
- Visit Buy Haywood’s Online Directory / Updated year-round with new partners and products.
- Bookmark Buy Haywood’s Special Events Calendar / Updated year-round with new events. A great calendar designed to keep you informed about people, places and events in and around Haywood County, North Carolina.
- Subscribe to our Farm Fresh blog!
- Bookmark our Recipes page for inspired ways of preparing seasonal products with an emphasis on healthy affordable ingredients through simple preparation.
- Expand your view to support a regional foodshed by picking up a copy of ASAP’s (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) Local Food Guide.
- Become a faithful reader of Plough to Pantry magazine / A free publication dedicated to farm-to-table and sustainable living in the mountains and foothills.
Spring has just officially arrived in western North Carolina. We have a promising growing season ahead. The Buy Haywood team looks forward to sharing the journey with you!
Tina Masciarelli, MLA
Buy Haywood Project Coordinator