Want to SHOP SMALL this holiday season,
but don’t know where to start?
Visit our Web Directory
for a complete list of Buy Haywood partners.
Below are some local ideas to help get you started!
Something for the history buff on your list?
Consider “Christmas Gift Donating” on behalf of the history buff on your list by donating to a local non-profit in their name. Through your gift, your history lover can proudly claim ownership in preserving our rich agricultural heritage for generations to come!
Here are some Uniquely Local ideas:
- Haywood Advancement Foundation in support of of Buy Haywood’s outreach projects. You can designate what program you wish to support, or earmark your gift to “general” which allows the team to allocate support to the program most in need for 2015. All checks should be made payable to the Haywood Advancement Foundation with “Buy Haywood” in the memo line (and any desired project information for specific funding). Mail gifts to Buy Haywood, c/o HAF, 28 Walnut Street Suite# 4, Waynesville NC 28786
- Francis Mill in support of preservation efforts. The working mill is listed on the national historic registry. Visit their website for complete donor information.
What do you get for the art lover?
What about an original 8 x 16, oil on linen painting by renowned local artist, Jo Ridge Kelley? Kelley has captured the rustic charm of “Danny’s Barn,” located in the historic Bethel community, beautifully using her signature techniques to infuse the original work with light, color, form and texture.
The art lover on your list will enjoy the beauty of rural Haywood County for decades to come with this treasure!
For purchasing information, visit Kelley’s website
What do you get for the foodie in your life?
Consider gift certificates from a handful of our Farm-to-Table partners filled with local flavor that keeps on giving throughout the season! Your special someone can create their own “winter version” of our highly successful Uniquely Local Food Crawl.
CLICK HERE for crawl destination ideas!
Here is an example of a “Downtown Crawl” to tempt your palate:
- Make a breakfast date with Coffee Cup Cafe to enjoy some of
Chef Heidi’s homemade biscuits with local sausage and jams. Stop in for lunch to enjoy a warm soup or local ingredient special. Don’t miss the “Love the Locals” board where Chef Heidi highlights all the farms that contribute to her kitchen!
- Plan a lunch or dinner at Frogs Leap Public House to enjoy the most extensive “Farm-to-Table” offerings in Haywood County.
Chef Kaighn’s imaginative menus change seasonally to highlight the best ingredients the region has to offer. Farms and partners are featured both on the Frogs Leap website and a source board in the restaurant.
- Turn “ho-hum” holiday shopping into YUM! Make a date to visit Sunburst Market in downtown Waynesville for one of their #SampleSaturday free tasting events. Turn the trip into a shopping event: Bring your market basket and fill it with a variety of flavors, tie a bow on it and give the entire basket & contents as the gift! The Sunburst team carefully curates their selection of food items, beverages, and other inventory to offer shoppers a unique neighborhood grocery experience. We promise your basket won’t go empty for long!
- End your evening at Frog Level Brewing Company and talk hops with owner and brewmaster, Clark Williams. He created the highly acclaimed “Frog P” American Pale Ale from 100% Haywood County Hops two years running! While you are there, pick up a Croaker or Growler of your favorite dark beer and “beat the winter blues” with our original Pub-Style Pot Roast! CLICK HERE for the recipe.
Taste of Local at its Best
Haywood County is home to a vibrant community of agripreneurs who take the season’s best farm products and turn them into unforgettable flavors!
Here are a few Uniquely Local— Artisan Produced options:
- Chef Jessica DeMarco of Copper Pot & Wooden Spoon has a tremendous selection of award-winning handcrafted items including jams, jellies, savory spreads and artisan pickles. Each recipe is prepared with utmost care in small batches from local, seasonal and all natural ingredients to ensure the height of freshness and flavor. Chef DeMarco and her team supports responsible stewardship and local, sustainable agriculture in the Western Carolina region. You can visit the Copper Pot & Wooden Spoon storefront at 449 A Pigeon Street Waynesville, NC 28786 OR buy from the Online store. If you have trouble deciding (we sure do), you can give your food lover a beautifully packaged gift assortment!
- Sunburst Trout is a third generation family owned and operated farm right here in Haywood County. Sunburst Trout are sustainably raised in waters pouring from the Shining Rock Wilderness. From their award-winning caviar to smoked trout dip to beautiful fillets, Sunburst Trout’s uniquely local products will keep your gift recipient happy long after the ornaments come down! A variety of products are available at Sunburst Market in downtown Waynesville and in their Online store.
Heritage, Art, Function & Form
Visit our web directory for a complete list of specialty retail partners. Here are a few highlights and gift ideas!
- Is there a special someone on your list who invites you to their table throughout the year, and you want to send a special thank you for their hospitality? Consider the gift of local handmade pottery from some of Haywood County’s finest artisans. Add your favorite recipe to the gift box and you have an unforgettable sentiment of both gratitude and beauty. One example: Horticulturist and local potter, Jimmy Richardson and his wife Molly, create unique stoneware pottery at Hemphill Pottery. The Richardsons make all their own glazes that are layered to achieve a deeper richer appearance. Some items also feature a natural wood ash glaze to create a unique rustic appeal that cannot be found in mass produced pottery. All stoneware is fired to Cone 6.
- Want a ONE STOP SHOP kind of experience? Put Mountain Favors, in downtown Waynesville, at the top of your shopping list! Owner, Amy Bennington, carefully curates her inventory to create a shop filled with Haywood County made and produced
items. From local honey to handmade baby bibs to natural dog shampoo— Mountain Favors offers artisan gift bags and baskets that you can select or Bennington will create for you. You walk in with an idea , and walk out with a beautiful unforgettable gift. THAT is the charm of Mountain Favors. Want a preview? Take a look at Mountain Favors on our YouTube channel, CLICK HERE.
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market: Winter Market offers a wide variety of artisan-made items right along side seasonal produce, eggs and meats. The winter market is located in the HART Theater parking lot and operates on Saturdays, 9a-1p through November 28.
- Do you have guests joining you for the holidays? If you want to make their visit even more memorable, be sure to stop by the Visitor Center in downtown Waynesville for a complete collection of brochures highlighting what to see and do in Haywood County. While you are there, purchase a copy of the Cold Mountain Heritage Tour CD from our friends at Bethel Rural Community Organization. Historic art prints are also available, CLICK HERE. The history lovers on your list won’t believe their eyes when they open this gift! Outdoor lovers will love copies of Ken Czarnomski’s beautifully illustrated free trail guides to Purchase Knob and the Shining Rock Wilderness.
Ring in the season with a Uniauely Local-Farm Fresh tree!
Make your holiday memorable by visiting one of our local Christmas tree farms! From choose&cut to pre-cut, Haywood County has something for the young and young-at-heart alike. CLICK HERE for our directory of farms. Want to know more? Take a look at this blog post from our friends at Visit NC Smokies.